A trip down memory lane!

October 31, 2020

The other day, Meg (aka Millie) brought it to my attention that the old TCM Message Board archives are still accessible online! So I did a quick google search for my old username and I actually found my profile, along with my entry in the 5th TCM Programming Challenge back in 2007!

I was only active on the boards from 2006-2007, but it was my first introduction to the online world of classic film fans. Up until that point my parents were the only other people I knew who liked classic movies, and everyone else I knew made fun of me for it. Obviously starting this blog and meeting a bunch of young classic film fans in 2009 was life changing, but I still think of the message boards as my first experience with kindred spirits.

Anyway, I thought for the sake of posterity I'd preserve my 2007 TCM schedule here on my blog. For anyone unfamiliar with the message boards, this was an unofficial challenge where you had to create one full week of TCM programming. You had to include running times, studios, air times, and some shorts that would play in between movies. It was fun and time consuming and I only did it once. I think everyone who ever partook in this challenge walked away with a newfound respect for the people who program 365 days of movies every year!

I worked SO hard on this at the time. I took it so seriously and kept fiddling with it and making sure all of the times worked out perfectly and I had managed to include everything that I felt deserved a spotlight. My one prescient inclusion was a brand new weekly feature called "Nighttime Noir" on Saturday nights, a full 10 years before the channel launched Noir Alley! I think that's pretty cool! :D

Okay, so without further ado, here is my schedule, meant to air the week of Sunday July 22- Saturday July 28, 2007-

Sunday July 22

SCREWBALL SUNDAY (New Weekly Feature)
6:00AM: Merrily We Live (1938) Constance Bennett, Brian Aherne 90 mins MGM

On the Loose (Live Action Short)
8:00AM: The Last Hurrah (1958) Spencer Tracy, Pat O'Brien 120 mins Columbia

GROWING OLD
10:00AM: On Borrowed Time (1939) Lionel Barrymore, Beulah Bondi 93 mins MGM
11:45AM: Mr. Skeffington (1944) Bette Davis, Claude Rains 146 mins WB
3:15PM: Someone to Remember (TCM Premiere) (1943) 79 mins Republic Pictures
Rapunzel (Animated Short)
4:45PM: The Captain is a Lady (1940) Charles Coburn, Beulah Bondi 63 mins MGM

A Day in Venice (Travelogue)

ESSENTIALS
6PM: Now, Voyager (1942) Bette Davis, Paul Henreid 117 mins, WB

BEHIND THE SCENES (HOLLYWOOD FILMS)
8:00PM: Boy Meets Girl (1938) James Cagney, Pat O'Brien 86 mins WB
9:30PM: Going Hollywood (1933) Dick Powell, Rosemary Lane 75 mins, MGM
10:45PM: It Happened in Hollywood (1937) Richard Dix, Fay Wray 67 mins Columbia

SILENT SUNDAY (Hollywood theme continues)
12:00AM: The Matinee Idol (1928) Richard Dix, Fay Wray 66 mins Columbia
1:15AM: His New Job (1915) Charlie Chaplin, Ben Turpin 30 mins Essanay

TCM IMPORTS
1:45AM: Forbidden Games (1952) Brigitte Fossey, Georges Poujouly 102 mins Silver Films
3:30AM: Rhapsody in Blue (1945) Robert Alda, Joan Leslie 139 mins WB

======================================

Monday July 23

HAL ROACH MINI-MARATHON
Thelma & Patsy
6:00AM: The Tin Man (1935) Thelma Todd, Patsy Kelly 20 mins MGM
6:20AM: Air Fright (1933) Thelma Todd, Patsy Kelly 20 mins MGM
6:40AM: Done in Oil (1934) Thelma Todd, Patsy Kelly 20 mins MGM

Thelma & Zasu
7:00AM: Maids a'la Mode (1933) Thelma Todd, ZaSu Pitts 20 mins MGM
7:20AM: Asleep in the Feet (1933) Thelma Todd, ZaSu Pitts 20 mins MGM
7:40AM: Red Noses (1932) Thelma Todd, ZaSu Pitts 20 mins MGM

8:00AM: To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) Gregory Peck, Mary Badham 129 mins p/s

THE BUTLER DID IT (Salute to Eric Blore and Halliwell Hobbes)
10:15AM: It's Love I'm After (1937) Leslie Howard, ERIC BLORE 87 mins WB
11:45AM: The War Against Mrs. Hadley (1942) Fay Bainter, HALLIWELL HOBBES 86 mins MGM
1:15PM: Piccadilly Jim (1936) Robert Montgomery, ERIC BLORE 90 mins MGM
2:45PM: Lady for a Day (1933) Warren William, HALLIWELL HOBBES 88 mins Columbia
The Changing of the Guard (Live-Action short)

ARTHUR TREACHER BIRTHDAY SALUTE
4:45PM: Thank You, Jeeves! (TCM Premiere) (1936) Arthur Treacher, David Niven 57 mins FOX
5:45PM: Personal Maid (1935) Ruth Donnelly, Arthur Treacher 60 mins WB
7:00PM: Bridal Suite (1939) Annabella, Robert Young, Arthur Treacher 70 mins MGM

LOVE AND LARCENY
8:00PM: How to Steal a Million (TCM Premiere) (1966) Audrey Hepburn, Peter O'Toole 127 mins FOX
10:15PM: The Law and the Lady (1951) Greer Garson, Michael Wilding 104 mins MGM
11:45PM: The Mystery of Mr. X (1934) Robert Montgomery, Elizabeth Allen 91 mins MGM
1:15AM: The Last of Mrs. Cheney (1929) Norma Shearer, Basil Rathbone 94 mins MGM

2:45AM: Some Came Running (1959) Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin 134 mins MGM
5:00AM: Private Screenings: Shirley MacLaine (2003) 60 mins

======================================

Tuesday July 24

FEMALE FLYERS (Amelia Earhart's Birthday)
6:00AM: Christopher Strong (1933) Katherine Hepburn, Colin Clive 72 mins RKO
7:15AM: Isle of Destiny (1940) William Gargan, Wallace Ford 95 mins RKO
Little Johnny Jet (Animated Short)
9:00AM: Roaming Lady (1936) Fay Wray, Ralph Bellamy 69 mins Columbia

10:15AM: Together Again (1944) Irene Dunne, Charles Boyer 93 mins Columbia
12:00PM: Letty Lynton (1932) Joan Crawford, Robert Montgomery 84 mins MGM

ROAD TRIPS
1:00PM: Fugitive Lovers (1934) Robert Montgomery, Madge Evans 74 mins MGM
2:30PM: It Happened One Night (1934) Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert 105 mins Columbia
4:15PM: Two for the Road (1967) Audrey Hepburn, Albert Finney 112 mins FOX p/s
6:15PM: The Long, Long Trailer (1954) Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz 95 mins MGM
Sniffles Takes a Trip (Animated Short)

BARBARA STANWYCK (STAR OF THE MONTH- 100TH BIRTHDAY TRIBUTE):
Stany Rarities
8:00PM: This Is My Affair (TCM Premiere)(1937) Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Taylor 99 mins FOX
The Film Fan (Animated Short)
9:45PM: You Belong to Me (1941) Barbara Stanwyck, David Niven 94 mins Columbia
Jennifer Jason Leigh on Barbara Stanwyck
A Wild Hare (Animated Short)
11:30PM: Ever in My Heart (1933) Barbara Stanwyck, Otto Kruger 70 mins WB
12:45AM: Shopworn (1932) Barbara Stanwyck, Regis Toomey 78 mins Columbia
2:15AM: His Brother's Wife (1936) Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Taylor 90 mins MGM
3:45AM: Secret Bride (1934) Barbara Stanwyck, Warren William 65 mins WB
5:00AM: A Lost Lady (1934) Barbara Stanwyck, Frank Morgan 60 mins WB

======================================

Wednesday July 25th

HEAD'S UP: Psychological movies
6:00AM: A Double Life (1948) Ronald Colman, Signe Hasso 104 mins Universal p/s
7:45AM: Rage in Heaven (1941) Robert Montgomery, Ingrid Bergman 85 mins MGM
9:15AM: High Wall (1948) Robert Taylor, Audrey Totter 99 mins MGM
11:00AM: Possessed (1947) Joan Crawford, Van Heflin 108 mins WB
1:00PM: My Name is Julia Ross (1945) Nina Foch, Dame May Whitty 65 mins Columbia
2:15PM: The Locket (1946) Laraine Day, Brian Aherne 86 mins RKO

Believe it or else (Animated Short)
4:00PM: Citizen Kane (1941) Orson Welles, Joseph Cotten 119 mins RKO
6:00PM: My Darling Clementine (TCM Premiere)(1946) Henry Fonda, Walter Brennan 97 mins FOX
The Live Ghost (Live Action Short)

MEAL TIME
8:00PM: Dinner at Eight (1934) Billie Burke, Jean Harlow 110 mins MGM
10:00PM: Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? (1967) Katherine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy 108 mins Columbia
The Midnight Snack (Animated Short)
12:00AM: The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942) Monty Wooley, Bette Davis 118 mins WB
The Wabbit Who Came to Supper (Animated Short)
2:00AM: Love Before Breakfast (1936) Carole Lombard, Preston Foster 70 mins Universal p/s
3:15AM: He Stayed for Breakfast (1940) Loretta Young, Melvyn Douglas 86 mins Columbia
4:45AM: Married Before Breakfast (1937) Robert Young, Florence Rice 70 mins MGM

======================================

Thursday July 26

MEAL TIME, Con't
6:00AM: Kisses for Breakfast (1941) Dennis Morgan, Jane Wyatt 81 mins WB
How to Eat (Live Action Short)
7:30AM: Breakfast for Two (1937) Barbara Stanwyck, Herbert Marshall 67 mins RKO
An Hour for Lunch (Live Action Short)
8:45AM: Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) Audrey Hepburn, George Peppard 114 mins Paramount p/s

10:45AM: The Clouded Yellow (1950) Trevor Howard, Jean Simmons 96 mins Rank
12:15PM: Carefree (1938) Ginger Rogers, Fred Astaire 80 mins RKO

SALUTE TO ROBERT RISKIN
1:45PM: Magic Town (1947) Jimmy Stewart, Jane Wyman 103 mins RKO
3:30PM: The Whole Town's Talking (1935) Edward G. Robinson, Jean Arthur 95 mins Columbia
5:15PM: The Cowboy and the Lady (1938) Gary Cooper, Merle Oberon 90 mins United Artists p/s
6:45PM: American Madness (1932) Walter Huston, Pat O'Brien 75 mins Columbia Thursday Primetime

MILLS NIGHT
8:00PM: Tiger Bay (1959) John Mills, Hayley Mills 105 mins Disney Live Action
9:45PM: So Well Remembered (1947) John Mills, Trevor Howard 114 mins RKO
11:45PM: That Darn Cat (1965) Hayley Mills 116 mins Disney Live Action
1:45AM: The History of Mr. Polly (1949) John Mills 94 mins Rank
3:30AM: Pollyanna (1960) Hayley Mills, Jane Wyman 133 mins Disney Live Action
King Midas (Animated Short)

======================================

Friday July 27

MEET ME AT THE CASBAH
6:00AM: Casablanca (1943) Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman 99 mins WB
7:45AM: Kismet (1944) Ronald Colman, Marlene Dietrich 103 mins MGM
9:30AM: Algiers (1938) Charles Boyer, Hedy Lamarr 96 mins United Artists p/s

11:15AM: Gaslight (1944) Charles Boyer, Ingrid Bergman 111 mins MGM
1:15PM: Love Affair (1939) Charles Boyer, Irene Dunne 89 mins RKO

AN "AYE" FOR AN "AYE" (Films about Scotland)
2:45PM: Crest of the Wave (1954) Gene Kelly, John Justin 90 mins MGM
4:15PM: The Green Years (1946) Charles Coburn, Hume Cronyn 127 mins MGM
6:30PM: Bonnie Scotland (1935) Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy 82 mins MGM
A Wee Bit of Scotland (Travelogue)

BOX SET: JOAN BLONDELL
8:00PM: Miss Pacific Fleet (1935) Joan Blondell, Glenda Farrell 66 mins WB
9:15PM: Three Men on a Horse (1936) Joan Blondell, Frank McHugh 88 mins WB
10:45PM:The Perfect Specimen (1937) Joan Blondell, Errol Flynn 88 mins WB

(Box set also features Off the Record (1939) JB & Pat O'Brien WB and Back in Circulation (1937) JB & Pat O'Brien WB)

12:15AM: There's Always a Woman (1938) Joan Blondell, Melvyn Douglas 82 mins Columbia

TCM UNDERGROUND
2:00AM: The Blob (1958) Steve McQueen, Aneta Corseaut 86 mins Paramount p/s
3:45AM: The Unholy Three (1930) Lon Chaney, Lila Lee 86 mins MGM

5:15AM: The Pilgrim (1923) Charlie Chaplin, Edna Purviance 39 mins United Artists p/s

======================================

Saturday July 28

6:00AM: To Be or Not to Be (1942) Carole Lombard, Jack Benny 100 mins United Artists p/s
7:45AM: Fifth Avenue Girl (1939) Ginger Rogers, Walter Connolly 83 mins RKO
9:30AM: Mark of the Vampire (1935) Lionel Barrymore, Elizabeth Allen 60 mins MGM

WOLVES, FALCONS AND SAINTS, OH MY! (New Weekly Feature)
10:30AM: The Lone Wolf Strikes (1940) Warren William, Eric Blore 57 mins Columbia

CARTOON ALLEY - Cartoon Crooners
11:30AM: Catch as Cats Can
11:37AM: Crosby, Colombo, and Vallee
11:44AM: I Only Have Eyes For You
11:50AM: Bingo Crosbyana

12:00PM: Inherit the Wind (1960) Spencer Tracy, Fredric March 127 mins United Artists p/s

BERGMAN/HITCHCOCK
2:15PM: Notorious (1946) Ingrid Bergman, Cary Grant 103 mins RKO
4:00PM: Under Capricorn (1949) Ingrid Bergman, Joseph Cotten 117 mins WB

NIGHTTIME NOIR (New Weekly Feature)
6:00PM: The Blue Dahlia (1946) Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake 100 mins Paramount p/s

THE ESSENTIALS
8:00PM: The Palm Beach Story (1942) Claudette Colbert, Joel McCrea, Rudy Vallee 90 mins Paramount p/s

RUDY VALLEE BIRTHDAY TRIBUTE
9:30PM: Sweet Music (1935) Rudy Vallee 90 mins WB
11:00PM: Gold Diggers in Paris (1938) Rudy Vallee 100 mins WB
12:45AM: Variety Time (1948) Jack Parr 59 mins RKO
1:45AM: Captain Sinbad (1963) Guy Williams, Heidi Bruhl 85 mins MGM
3:15AM: Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) Charles Laughton, Clark Gable 130 mins MGM

Fast Work (Live Action Short)

======================================

Some notes I had written to explain my choices:

"Someone to Remember" is a film in which an old lady in a rest home finds out they are replacing her building with university housing. She begs them to let her stay, because she is certain that the son who left her 27 years ago will be returning one day-- and wouldn't find her if she moved. It seems very heartwarming, and fit perfectly with my "Growing Old" theme.

"How to Steal a Million" is the movie that got me hooked on classic movies. The fact that I haven't seen it on television since I first saw it seven years ago is just plain awful. It is a fabulous farce about forgery, larceny, art and love. The perfect combination of edge-on-your-seat tension and laugh-out-loud comedy.

"This is My Affair" is one of only a few films pairing Barbara Stanwyck with her husband Robert Taylor. I'm one of those silly people who enjoys watching real-life couples on screen together, and since Stany is my favorite actress I've been dying to watch this for some time.

For Silent Sunday I picked my favorite silent film, "The Conquering Power" simply because it hasn't been played in quite some time, and it is a spectacular piece of cinematography. There is one scene in which walls close in, and gold hands come out of a pile of gold coins that is out- of this world, especially for 1921! Not to mention this is an Alice Terry/Rex Ingram film with Rudolph Valentino. What a combination!

For Monday morning I scheduled a Hal Roach mini-marathon of Thelma Todd shorts: the first three with Patsy Kelly and the following three with ZaSu Pitts. I happened to catch "The Tin Man" a few months ago, and it was so funny I can't wait to see the rest of the shorts that they made as a team! And Hal Roach's shorts are wonderful because they are always fun, yet you can watch them when you have the time. They are great for the busy TCM lover!

I also did a tiny tribute to the greatest butlers ever, before transitioning into a birthday tribute to another great butler: Arthur Treacher. First I highlighted two films with Eric Blore (one of the best character actors, EVER!) and two with Halliwell Hobbes (including the Hobbes live-action short "The Changing of the Guard") then I scheduled three Arthur Treacher films.

For my star of the month I chose Barbara Stanwyck. She is probably the greatest actress ever-- she excels in comedy, drama, melodrama, and even small budget mysteries. She had the ability to make absolutely any material A-quality, which means that when she was given projects like "Meet John Doe" and "The Lady Eve" she made A-quality material EVEN better yet! Everyone who worked with her said she was one of the most professional actresses, and it shows in her work. Few stars can make you forget their star persona and concentrate only on their film character, and Barbara Stanwyck succeeds in this with flying colors. I think it is the least we could do, to honor this great lady of the silver screen, to dedicate the month of July, the month she would turn 100 years old, to her and her wonderful films.

I had fun with my theme for Wednesday night and Thursday morning- Meal Time. Finding the shorts was fun as well, especially "The Wabbit who came to Supper"! Plus this theme gave me the opportunity to schedule a few films that aren't normally shown (He Stayed for Breakfast and Breakfast for Two).

Thursday afternoon I dedicated about six hours to, in my opinion, one of the greatest screenwriters: Robert Riskin. I can't think of anybody else, except maybe Preston Sturges, who could blend so easily humor, political conscience and wit.

Thursday night is dedicated to John and Hayley Mills. When I was a little girl my two favorite actresses were Hayley Mills and Elizabeth Montgomery. The funny thing is that two of my favorite actors are now John Mills and Robert Montgomery! Though this is purely a "for fun" post, I would really appreciate it if TCM would consider getting Hayley Mills as a guest programmer, or for a Private Screening. I'd love to hear her discuss her films, and her fathers films.

1 comment:

Tom said...

I would definitely set my DVR to record all the films in Growing Old, Head's Up, and The Butler Did It. :) I need to see more films with Eric Blore. Great selections!